What are Belts & Hoses?
Your car has many systems that contribute to its overall operation; there’s the engine system, transmission system, brake system, steering system, etc. While those get talked about constantly, the belts and hoses aren’t given enough attention. Belts and hoses are essential parts of these vehicle systems. Without belts and hoses, these systems would not operate and your car would be useless.
- Belts - These serve different purposes, but the two most important ones you should know are the timing belt and serpentine belt/drive belt. The timing belt keeps the engine running smoothly by transferring power from the crankshaft to the various pulleys that run your engine’s components. It synchronizes the movement of the motor. On the other hand, the serpentine belt powers many of your vehicle’s accessories. Think of the air conditioning compressor, power steering pump, cooling fan, and more.
- Hoses - These are responsible for the flow of fluids throughout the car. For instance, they help carry coolant to the engine to keep it from overheating. Some facilitate how much oil goes into the engine to minimize wear and tear.
Why You Should Monitor Your Belts and Hoses
Belts and hoses should be regularly checked because they are delicate pieces compared to other vehicle components. For example, the timing belt and serpentine belt are made of durable rubbers. They become susceptible to breaking after 50,000 - 100,000 miles. Below is a list of reasons why you should check your belts and hoses.
- To prevent a breakdown - Depending on the belt or hose, it can cause irreversible damages, such as the effects of a timing belt breaking into your engine. Not only will it cause damage, but it can cause the engine to seize to work.
- To save money on fuel - Worn belts and hoses can cause your vehicle to overwork itself. As a result, you may be filling up more often than before.
- To extend the life of your vehicle - Regularly monitoring and replacing these parts before they break can help you prevent damage. Therefore, you can keep your vehicle running for a longer amount of time.
We encourage you to ask about your car’s belts and hoses next time you bring your vehicle to Cosmo’s Service Center for maintenance. If your belts and hoses appear worn or damaged, we can replace them right here at our auto repair facility. We welcome you to our auto repair shop for belts and hoses services today!